Possum Removal in Melbourne's Eastern Suburbs
Cannon Pest Management’s technicians are qualified and licensed to carry out possum exclusion and pest removal for Melbourne residents and businesses. We do not relocate possums from your property, relocating possums is both illegal and inhumane. Thanks to our comprehensive and reliable methods for possum removal and exclusion, home and business owners can turn to us to ensure the integrity of their roofs, guttering, and related structures.
Please contact us for a free quote on possum removal.
Our possum control process:
- Inspection of building to identify all possible entry holes including assessment around the perimeter of the building, and a thorough inspection of the building roof.
- Possum entry holes are sealed using galvanized mesh, metal sheet or aluminum flashing, silicon sealer may also be used where required.
- One-way possum doors are fitted to allow possums to leave but not re-enter the building. Doors are purpose built or customised to suit the particular building requirements.
- When possums have been excluded from the building, the doors will be removed and the holes sealed.
- Permanently open areas, such as sub-floors are excluded unless our technician has written otherwise.
There are two types of possums in urban areas;
The common brushtail possum, (Trichosurus vulpecula) is about the size of a cat. It has large pointed ears, grey fur and a bushy black tail.
Brushtail possums have a single young born in autumn or spring. The baby spends around six months in the pouch, one to two months riding on its mother’s back until it is weaned and leaves the maternal den at between 7–16 months.
The common ringtail possum, (Pseudocheirus peregrinus) is much smaller, about half the size of a cat. They have round ears, a grey back with rusty sides and a curled tail with a white tip. They have one to three young, mostly twins, born during autumn or winter. Ringtail possums usually build a nest of twigs and leaves called a drey, several metres above the ground. They rarely enter house roofs.
Possums and the Law:
- Like all other native animals, possums are protected under the Wildlife Act 1975. They must not be harmed in any way or kept without approval from DELWP.
- Trapped possums must be released on the property on which they are captured, up to a maximum of 50 metres from the capture site after sunset on the day of capture.
For further information on legal requirements Click Here
- There are 23 possum species in Australia. The most likely possums thumping and jumping around on your roof are the common brushtail possum and the common ringtail possum.
- A female possum is called a ‘Jill’, a male possum is called a ‘Jack’, and a young possum is called a ‘Joey’.
- Possums can live for average of 6-7 years with some getting to the ripe old age of 11 years.
- Possums are nocturnal marsupials spending their nights out and about then returning to their resting place to sleep all day.
- Most possums live in the hollows of tall trees, but the common ringtail possum builds nests known as ‘dreys’ in bushes or trees.
- Possums mainly eat eucalyptus and other leaves. They also eat nectar, flowers and fruit.
- Possums can make all sorts of noises, from grunts and growls to clicks, hisses and screeches.
- Most possums are solitary animals, except when raising their young, but ringtail possums tend to live in family groups of three or more.
- Possums are protected wildlife in Australia. Without certain permits, it is against the law to trap, relocate or kill possums.
Possum Removal service in Blackburn, Burwood, Croydon, Glen Waverley, Heathmont, Ringwood, Vermont, Wantirna & surrounding Melbourne suburbs
Cannon Pest Management have the experience, knowledge, and relevant certifications to deliver outstanding and prompt possum removal services. We provide possum control in Blackburn, Burwood, Croydon, Glen Waverley, Heathmont, Ringwood, Vermont, Wantirna and Melbourne Eastern Suburbs. Home and business owners can trust us to assist them with their possum issues.
What Our Customers Say…
“I highly recommend Sean. He was punctual, very professional and followed through until the job was done. We had a difficult to remove possum in the roof and Sean persisted, visiting the property multiple times until he was gone. Excellent service all round at a fair price.”
– Patrick Enright, 5-star Google Review
“We have used Sean’s services for a number of years particularly in combating our ongoing possum problems. His service has always been excellent I would recommend him to anyone with a pest problem.”
– Susan Unwin, 5-star Google Review
“Excellent service and very thorough – spent several hours on site. Report was finalised quickly. Highly recommend”
– Russel Fountain, 5-star Google Review